Monday, October 25, 2010

Men's Hoops Scrimmage

Not to be forgotten, the Men's Hoops scrimmage was Saturday...Grant from AZZ.com was there, and I'm grabbing his write up from the scrimmage of AZZ.com, thread here.

A'uston (from here on out only known as "The Apostrophe") Calhoun WAS amazing! I'm pretty sure he was 9 for 9 before he missed a shot, midrange jumpers, 3s, and a dunk in there as well. I only stayed for the first half of the scrimmage because I had a very bored 22 month old girl and an even more bored wife with me.

The other one who REALLY impressed me was Cameron Black. The kid is going to be a flat-out STUD by the time he's done here, and it looks like it could happen sooner rather than later. I sat next to Cam's dad.

And if the walk-on, Wiley Roberts, is really 5'7"... well... let's just say he's not, OK?

Other generalizations... we are a FAST team and we are a long-lean team. Amazing the transition in the overall makeup of the team in just one year. Larson and Polk took their bulk and inertia with them and the team, as a whole, is that much more nimble.

I think our weakness will be at the point and 2-guard positions... wings and posts though, we seem strong.

I promised myself I wouldn't get my hopes up based upon one practice/scrimmage... but I have. We have the pieces, we're going to see what kind of coaching staff we have this year. If JoeJak can provide some senior leadership and steady ball-control, we're going to be strong by the time our 6 newcomers are seasoned...

Oh... and John Floyd was one of the referees. Also in attendance, Associate MAC Commissioner for Basketball, former BGSU assistant, and one-time Ralph Sampson alley-ooper, Ricky Stokes.

Good to hear it. We'll have more hoops preview stuff coming up in the days to come, but in the meantime, this will have to suffice. It has me thinking. I know we have ALL heard Coach Orr say we want to play from the inside-out. I've always assumed that meant from the post out, but I do remember now that he always says there are other ways to get inside, such as penetration from speed--and then you can kick it out.

I'm looking forward to the season beginning again. This is the first year that Coach Orr has his own players and a program that starts to be in his image. Expectations externally are low...perfect time for a huge surprise season.

Update: John Wagner of The Blade posted some of his observations from the scrimmage as well.

No comments :