Thursday, October 07, 2010

Blog Poll Reconcile

So, I thought I would take the chance to explain away the places where my Blogpoll differed most significantly from the other 100-some obsessives who vote.  In general, they were pretty close.  I agonized over Arizona and Oklahoma State, yet ended up in the same neighborhood as the other voters, pretty much.  So, looking at each team where I was more than 1 away....

Remembering, of course, the Blogpoll mantra...."who has had the best season?"

OK---Poll #6, Me #2

I have Oklahoma higher because they have quality wins over two ranked teams (Florida State and Air Force) and a near ranked team, Texas.  Ohio State has beaten only Miami (of note), and Oregon has beaten Stanford and a near ranked Arizona State.

Iowa---Poll #16, Me #9

Iowa has a win over a near ranked Penn State, and a Iowa State, who is not awful.  Nebraska has been precisely no one, and LSU has not beaten any strong teams and has won through the most bizarre methods.  Miami has beaten no one of note (Clemson) and has only 3 wins, and Stanford has no quality wins either, inside the hype.

Nebraska--Me #7 Poll #10

Nebraska has exactly no quality wins.  Iowa's win over Penn State is better than anything Nebraska has, Arizona beat Iowa, and Auburn's wins over Clemson and South Carolina, while not stellar, are better than Nebraska's wins over Idaho, Washington and San Diego State.

Utah--Me #17, Poll #10

It isn't that I don't think Utah is strong, but when I looked at their schedule, it is nothing to be proud of.  They got some halo beating a clearly overrated Pitt team, but from there is has been nothing.  In fact, they are comparable to Nebraska...all I can say is that after week 5 there is still a little bit of reputation involved.  If Utah continues to win, they will move up.

Kansas State--Me #18, Poll Unranked (26)

This surprised me and I tried about a dozen ways to move them out, but they belong.  Admittedly, from #18 in, there is some pretty thin gruel.  K-State has beaten two BCS team (UCLA and Iowa State) and they are respectable.  They have better wins than Florida State (and no losses), and the same is true of OK State, which has only one BCS win and a lucky win over Troy.  Nevada?  Missouri?  I didn't see the case for any of those teams to be ahead of them.

Florida State--Me #19, Poll #24

I might have over ranked the Seminoles.  I was thinking that their loss was to Oklahoma, which most teams would have lost, but they don't have any real wins.  I might have them too high.

South Carolina, Me#23, Poll #19

I almost didn't rank them at all.  Their only important win is over a poor Georgia team, and they have only 3 and only 2 FBS wins.  I just don't see how they rank over undefeated Missouri and Nevada, for example.

Arkansas--Me #24, Poll #12

I almost didn't rank them either.  Probably, they should be higher.  But, their wins are really weak (TN Tech, Louisiana-Monroe and Georgia) and while they played Alabama tough, I don't really think there is much of a track record there yet.  If they continue to win, they obviously move out.

Plus Ryan Mallett is a tool.

No comments :