Friday, December 18, 2015

Kingston Quoted on CBS Sports...

There's an interesting article on CBSsports.com related to an issue that has been front and center in Bowling Green, and that's the youth movement in college football.  Chris Kingston is quoted as it relates to how he found Jinks--the only new head coach not to be a coordinator this year.  It covers a lot of the issues...the drive for youth, to win the press conference to settle the boosters and natives on day one...etc.  Also, the involvement of search firms, which is playing a new role.

Kingston delivers his favorite quote...

"No better predictor of future success than past success..."
I find it hard to square that quote with how this staff has been assembled, but I'm done writing about it.  These are our guys and the program is starting off in very good shape and I just have to hope that Kingston knows what he is doing and Jinks knows what he is doing and that these assistants he has brought in are prepared to succeed right away, because we shouldn't have to do on the job training.

Let's go for two in a row....

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I love Jinks' resume because he turned a losing football situation into an ultra-successful winning one in one of the most highly competitive environments to do so. After passing on college opportunities, he ascended to the highest level of college football (Power 5/Big 12 Conference) and played a significant part in the #2 offense in the nation fueled by a running game that was his direct responsibility and something that TTU lacked in the past. I think we're banking primarily on Jinks' success and the judgements he'll make to recreate the achievement he's had.

Orange said...

Fair enough, I hear what you are saying. I do view it a little differently. I think high school is high school and being a position coach at Texas Tech, in my mind, does not equal "ascending to the highest level of college football." I can see what you are saying, but I don't "love it." I hope he proves me wrong.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you in terms of experience ... but like you, I support him until he proves different. Thanks for the CBS Sports link ... interesting article.

Anonymous said...

My concern is not Jinks but the staff he's bringing. There is a huge difference between d3 to d2 to d1. Watching the catastrophe of a bowl game, I was wondering if d2/d3 coaches could come up with enough on the fly experience to have uprighted that ship

Orange said...

I agree entirely. Many of them have not coached at all....were quality control assistants. I wouild have thought you would try to compensate for your own strengthes and weaknesses and get some seasons assistants, but he doubled down on the whole concept.

Time will tell. I posted later on the assistants, if you are interested.

http://orangeandbrown.blogspot.com/2015/12/jinks-assembling-coaching-staff.html

Anonymous said...

Yes I have read it but also shall I say researched them by reviewing each of there programs and watched some you tube. New def co oc perry was the same position at his previous job. They had a losing record and in most games were not even close. Doesn't make confidence spring out