Sunday, December 11, 2005

Debates on Casey trade rage

Hal McCoy--the venerable Hal McCoy--wrote some absolute gibberish about the Casey trade. The just as venerable Redleg Nation critiqued his story better than I can, so click here to see this dismantling.

Note that John Fay comes down on our side.

Here was my comment.

Wow. It boggles the mind. I respect Hal’s tenure and his history with the game, but that column was awful. He wants to replace production with myth–a common problem among old-time sportswriters.

Let me ask you this. Williams had an ERA somwhere around the league average–I don’t care if he was Pitt’s #4 starter. If the Reds had just AVERAGE pitching last year, what would their record have been.

Everyone is focusing on getting a stud–and if we get it, that would be great. But a league average ERA and we’re in the hunt.

No comments :