Tuesday, September 11, 2012

It is ROCKET WEEK!!

You know, I was having a hard time getting into the rivalry week stuff with the game being so early and everything. It just usually feels like the season builds to the Rocket game and not starts with it.  Having said that, I just heard that the word on the street is that the Rockets are only offering us 170 seats for the BGSU band which has over 300 members.

I thought it was commonly accepted that you'd let the whole band come to a road game...I mean, I'm sure that they are expecting a big crowd, but on the surface it seems a little pimpy.

On such things are rivalries built.  Measured by intensity, hatred, longevity and proximity, this is as good as any.  No it doesn't involve as many people as the OSU-Michigan or Alabama-Auburn, etc, but I think it is ever bit as bitter.

The feelings are located in the limbic system.  I remember going to a little league manager's meeting in our hometown (not Bowling Green) and some dude was walking in wearing a Rocket football jersey and I had an instant revulsion before it even hit me.  I'm sure he is a fine guy.

Anyway, the rivalry is a lot more fun when you are winning.  Last year's loss--and then seeing that the Rockets had posted pictures of hits they were especially proud of on the walls of their practice facility--stung a little just because we had our shots to win the game and might have been able to win with a stop when the Rockets are deep in their own territory.

That was on top of getting absolutely smoked the year before.

So, the Falcon Nation is probably a little itchy and this one is one the road.  Certainly, BG will have to play better than they did last week....and you'd hope the big rivalry game will bring it out.  I think BG has the capability to play with the Rockets even on the road, but its going to require some plays that we have not seen to date.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Will this year's contest be televised?

Orange said...

As I understand it, the game will be on ESPN3.