Saturday, September 03, 2016

Woodshed




"We pretty much got taken to the woodshed today."

Mike Jinks








So, I didn't expect it to be close.  I also didn't expect OSU to set a total offense record and score their most points in 66 years.

That was a surprise.

A couple things.  First, that was certainly no fun.  BG was destroyed in every phase of the game.  It was just incredibly difficult to watch.  As far as I can see, it was the most points BG has ever allowed.  I don't know about the yards.

It most reminded me of the Wisconsin game in Dino I.  When you have :45 three and out possessions, a team like OSU has a shot to run up huge numbers.

I thought the o-line played pretty well.  Valdez and Greene seemed to play well.

Beyond that, there's not much to look at.  Knapke made some nice throws and a bunch of inaccurate throws.  There were a lot of drops.  BG's young defensive backfield--playing without Will Watson who was suspended for the first six games for something that happened in 2014--was shredded for big plays time and again.

Here's the thing.  OSU is a lot better than BG.  Even with that, you'd like to make a better showing than that.  BG simply had nothing work.

Well, Davidson was good.  And we made a FG.

Now, if your despair is high, I'd advise you to pump the brakes.  This was awful.  Nothing redeeming.  It also doesn't impact a single one of our goals and we don't build our team to win this game.  Put the right season together, it could mean nothing.

Still true:  as of today we are not better than we expected.

Anyway, more later.

No comments :