Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Students Question Stroh Center Fee

There's some unrest on the BGSU campus, given the $120/year fee put on students to help finance the construction of the Stroh Center, the new athletic facility that will host basketball, among other university functions.

Apparently, USG approved the fee which then goes to the Ohio Board of Regents, but students are petitioning to put it to a referendum. Facebook sites (today's medium of political protest) are onboard favoring the center as well as calling for a referendum on the Center.

A couple things. First, this doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I kind of like it. The students are the ones who are paying this fee, and they have every right to debate and oppose it.

Second, during my time at BGSU, I had no idea we could actually take things to a freaking referendum? I didn't think Student Government had any binding powers at all. Who knew?

No comments :