Sunday, March 29, 2009

MAC Scoring Finalized

On Groundhog day I looked at MAC scoring, because I felt like it was pretty clear that scoring in the conference was way, way down. Of course, I was wrong, it was only way down....

So, just to do it, I ran the numbers one more time. We're talking only conference games here, and what we find is that MAC scoring fell from 65.95 points per game to 61.17, slightly down from midseason. That's a 7.8% reduction from one year to the next.

I hear such things are cyclical. And, I do understand that high scoring is not, by definition, better than low scoring basketball. It all depends though...is the low scoring due to good defense or merely low wattage offense.

I don't have any data (short of a lack of true offensive stars in the conference), but I think the blend is uncomfortably toward the latter.

No comments :