Tuesday, August 19, 2008

And.....the East

I've put lots of thought into this pick. Of course, my heart desperately wants to see Bowling Green play for the MAC Title. And at the end of last season I was pretty sure we would win this year, with what we had coming back.

  • Then, the debacle in Mobile.
  • Then, a thin D-line corps is thinned out more.
  • Then, a key LB leaves school.

And I started to wonder.

Its incredibly close. Both BG and Miami have 17 starters back. And while we had the better record, the RedHawks beat us like a rented mule in our head to head meeting.

There's more. In our cross-over games, we BOTH go to Toledo and NIU. We both host Kent and Buffalo. I just think there is a razor's edge between these two teams.

I am picking BG, call me a slappy if you like. The reasons are:

  • Miami plays BG in BG.
  • Miami plays Ball in its third crossover game while we play EMU.
  • BG is stronger at QB in a QB's game.

It would not surprise me if Miami wins the East, but I'm going to pick BG

1. BG
2. Miami

See above.

3. Kent

Two years ago, Kent was on the comeback trail. Then, shit happened. They were ravaged at QB last season. They have the league's best running back in Eugene Jarvis. They had some close losses...I think Kent could challenge to win the East. They play @Miami and @BG in consecutive weeks, which is part of why its hard to see them winning.


4. Temple

Temple is on the rise. They are a year away. Temple will win a MAC division title within three seasons. QB is still weak, but the defense will help.

5. Buffalo

Buffalo is coming on fast. They also have BG and Miami on the road and have a really poor defense. Still, they are dangerous.

6. OU

Got Frank? Got no offense. Defense only average.

7. Akron

Wow, how quickly this happened. They lost a lot of guys off an average team. I always thought Brookhart could coach, so I'm going to assume that he will turn things around, especially with better facilities on the way next year.

No comments :