Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Falcons Drop Another MAC game...Dakich With Curious Post-game comments

BG lost 66-60 to Miami today, and I'll have more comments coming later. Storyline is BG was down 14 at the half, benched Samarco for nearly the whole second half, and "won" the second half 38-30.

On the postgame show, Coach had some very odd statements to make---paraphrasing here.

"This is the first time in two years we've played Bowling Green basketball, they way we used to play in my first four-year years here. Guys moving, working the ball, in the passing lanes. I'm not happy we lost, but its the first time we've really played our basketball in two seasons. Obviously, it's my fault we didn't. I just took all the guys out from last year who just want to jack shots up and we finally played the kind of basketball we used to play."

Words very close to those. Interesting indeed. I don't know what to say. A couple weeks ago I was all this way:

So, you no doubt read my comments before the game...I was worried. We still don't know how good we are, but we know a little more, and there is reason for hope. You're only as good as your last game, but I am beginning to think this team might really be able to stay with teams in the MAC.

Remember, this was played without Marschall and Hamblet. I just think we might finally be turning the corner.

So, the barometer swings back. Just to be sure we know what we are talking about, we have now lost 10 out of our last 11 games in the MAC. Kent on the road Saturday does not look pretty, either. Coach Dakich may have seen us turn the corner tonight, or at least find the corner. I hope he's right.

UPDATE: Here's the quote from The Blade.

"It's the first time in two years that our team's played like my teams from 2000, 2002, '99," BGSU coach Dan Dakich said. "That's obviously my fault that we don't play like that more. We didn't jack shots, we didn't quick-shoot, we threw the ball inside, we got after it on defense.

OT: How much better would things be if Gregg Brandon earnestly said something like "it's my fault our guys came out and played poorly today."

No comments :