Tuesday, March 12, 2013

More MAC Awards....

Defensive Player of the year:  Zeke Marshall, Akron
Freshman of the Year:  Darius Paul, WMU
Sixth Man of the Year:  David Brown, WMU

A few comments....

The Sixth Man and Defensive Player awards come from the coaches, which I think has some credibility.  Here is the thing...there aren't a lot of stats for defense--blocks and steals--and Marshall gets a lot of blocks.  However, there is also just plain guarding a guy, and I always worry that gets forgotten for this away.  Coaches should vote for who they have to game plan around, and I assume they did.

Marshall has now won the award in back-to-back years.

Darius Paul was the overwhelming choice as Freshman of the Year, with Chris Fowler a distant second.

I don't have any issue with David Brown getting the sixth man award.  I'd like to suggest that Richaun Holmes would have been a worthy recipient as well.

No comments :