Saturday, October 20, 2012

Catching up with Former Falcon and Author Robin Yocum

I had an interesting Falcon encounter recently.

I was on a website (Shelf Awareness) and I saw a banner ad for a book by a guy named Robin Yocum.  That piqued my interest, because I remembered a BGSU kicker in my youth whose name was Robin Yocum.  A few emails later, and I was able to determine that it was the same guy.

You have to be an old-time to remember Yocum. He was a kicker during the 74-77 seasons, and sort of competed with Don Taylor, as I recall. I had a little Robin Yocum moment back in the day...I was on the sideline for the spring game and I saw he had his toe tied back to his leg and I asked him if it hurt and he said you got used to it.

I know, right?

Anyway, he graduated from BG and was a highly successful crime and investigative reporter for the Columbus Dispatch, where he won a bunch of awards. Now, he is writing novels and memoirs--he's written 3 books. I haven't had the chance to read one yet, but they would appear to be getting some notice, which is great.

I thought the Falcon Nation would like to hear about one of our own and maybe take a shot at one of his books.  (I'm strictly the middle man here, getting nothing from this).

So, if you want to read a Falcon for your next book, you can click here for more info and here to order.

--

Robin Yocum’s second novel, The Essay, was released by Arcade Publishing on Oct. 9

Yocum is the author of the critically acclaimed novel, Favorite Sons, by Arcade Publishing, which was named USA Book News’ Book of the Year for Mystery/Suspense. It was selected for the Choose to Read Ohio program for 2013-14, and was a featured book of the 2012 Ohioana Book Festival.

Yocum also is the author of:

Dead Before Deadline . . . and other tales from the police beat (University of Akron Press, 2004), which chronicles his four years as the crime reporter for the Columbus Dispatch.

Insured for Murder (Prometheus Books, 1992), a true crime book about a murder-for-insurance scam that he and co-author Catherine Candisky covered for the Dispatch.

He is the president of Yocum Communications, a public relations and marketing firm in Westerville, Ohio.

He is well known for his work as a crime and investigative reporter with the Columbus Dispatch from 1980-1991. He was the recipient of 30 local, state and national journalism awards in categories ranging from investigative reporting to feature writing.

He has a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Bowling Green State University (78). He played football for the Falcons in 74-75-76-77.

No comments :