Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What are they saying in Huntington?

Taking a look at the news from Huntington....

Did you know that Marshall is 2-12 at the Doyt....well, the Herd do, and they claim they have moved past the West Virginia game.

The Herd beat the Falcons at Perry Stadium in 1954 (26-19) and, then, lost 11 consecutive times at Bowling Green before winning, 20-13, in 2000.

That losing streak included a stunning 34-13 defeat in 1998. To put that loss in perspective, Marshall won the Mid-American Conference championship, beat Louisville (48-29) in the Motor City Bowl and finished with a 12-1 record that season.

The only blemish was BG.

To this day, former Herd star quarterback Chad Pennington hasn't gotten over that loss. After listening to the "Dixie Chicks" on his headphones during pre-game, Pennington vowed never to listen to them again.

That's how playing at "The Doyt" can affect a guy.

Just ask Bobby Pruett. The last time the Marshall coaching icon took a team into Bowling Green, the Falcons walloped the Herd, 56-35, in 2004.

Really, Chad?  The Dixie Chicks?

Vinny Curry, a Marshall DE who was a beast in the WVU game, was the C-USA player o' the week.

Meanwhile, Marshall is still processing the WVU defeat over the weekend, with all the mythology and emotions that entailed.

3 comments :

J Dog said...

I was at BG for that win in 1998. I remember a football schedule was posted in West Hall and someone put an L next to the game before the season started.

Everyone thought we were going to lose, I was in SICSIC so I did not get to watch all the game, but it was shocking.

J Dog said...

I was attending BG during that 1998 game, weeks before the game someone in West Hall had put an L next to the Marshall game. I did not go the game for some reason at this time I can not recall. We were all shocked when we found out BG took them to the wood shed.

I was also there for the last time Marshall beat us. I was working in Toledo and my parent (who are from outside Huntington and are Marshall fans) came up to see the game with my sister (works for BG) and I. We were winning, we punted to ball and the return man went I think 80 yards for a touchdown. around the 50 yard line my dad jumps up yelling "YES! YES! YES!" That run broke BG and that was it.

Noel said...

That Curry #99 was a beast vs. WVU and their QB looked like a gamer. I still think this game is winnable though. I'm not driving 12 hours each way to say otherwise!