Sunday, November 29, 2009

Former Coach News....

A couple of quick notes on our former football and men's basketball coaches.....

Hopefully, Gregg Brandon was renting down in Virginia, because HC Al Groh was fired today.  Here is what the Washington Post had to say about Brandon...

Mike Groh, who stepped down last December, was replaced by former Bowling Green coach Gregg Brandon as part of a staff shakeup. Brandon, whose spread offense proved ineffective and was abandoned early this season, could not fix the Cavaliers' offense, which finished ranked No. 118 out of 120 division I-A teams.


Emphasis added:  the spread offense didn't even last the season at Virginia.  I read elsewhere that he was on a multi-year contract, so he will be receiving his second buy out in as many years.


And, Donald Emmons of The Blade has a talk with Dan Dakich, covering life on the radio, and his memories of Bowling Green.  Love Dakich or hate him (and he had a lot of support from me), of this there is no doubt:  he was all in.



"I REALLY LOVE Bowling Green. I still go back a lot. I miss it. I had a great time there. I think Louis Orr has done a great job. I still follow them. I follow the basketball teams and the football team."
"My whole thing was to win the MAC championship and get to the NCAA tournament. I would have loved to reach the NCAA tournament for Bowling Green and the fans.... It still bothers me that we weren't able to do it. We got close two or three times. But the MAC is tough.
"We had a lot of great wins. Truthfully, to this day there are three or four games we lost I still can't get over."

No comments :