Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Falcon-Hilltopper Feud Emerging?????

Apparently, we have a little feud emerging between Coach Brandon and Coach Elson, of Western Kentucky. Check this story out from the Kentucky paper...

Elson said Western’s so-called reputation dates back to the Hilltoppers’ 41-21 loss at Bowling Green on Sept. 29. According to Elson, he received a pair of e-mails after the game from Bowling Green coach Gregg Brandon, who questioned a play in which Bowling Green defensive tackle Nick Davis tore his anterior cruciate ligament on a cut block by an unnamed Western player.

Elson said no flag was thrown on the play.

“I went to review the play, watched it with our entire staff and said, ‘What do you guys think?’ ” Elson said. “The guy was in front of him. It was a cut block. It was toward the end of the play.

“You could look at it and say maybe it was unnecessary, but when you coach your players to play to the whistle and the play is still going on and that defender still has a chance to run the play.

“I e-mailed (Brandon) back and said, ‘I prefer you not discuss this over e-mail. Let’s talk on the phone.’ He did call and we discussed it and said, ‘I didn’t think you would agree with me, but I just wanted to get a response.’

“I explained to him exactly how I saw it and that we don’t coach dirty play.”

Elson said he thought Brandon was “completely OK” with the explanation, but Brandon informed Ball State - a fellow Mid-American Conference member with Bowling Green - to be wary of the Hilltoppers.

“Apparently there’s some ill will, but when I speak with Gregg Brandon on the phone there isn’t any.”

Elson goes on to then accuse Brandon of warning Ball State Coach Brady Hoke about the Hilltopper's dirty play.

No biggie. But, I thought it was interesting to see our Coach involved in something like this.

No comments :