Saturday, July 29, 2006

Media Day is Monday

It will be interesting to see Monday who the media establishes as the early favorites in the MAC football race. Not that they are always--or even sometimes right--but it does give you an idea who the early targets are.

For example, in the West, I expect them to pick NIU in the West, though I am not convinced that Toledo is out of the game. I don't think you can rule Central out, either, though some people are overestimating Ball State, IMO. At the same time, I wonder about Western, which might be better than people think. EMU will blow.

In the East, the pool is thin. I suspect Akron and Miami will be the favorites, with BG next. I think OU will continue to get Franklove, but it won't mean anything until it happens on the field. Kent and Buffalo will blow.

The MAC, as a whole, is in a low period. Nothing to compete with the teams from the UM era. Even UT and NIU--the favorites for victory in the MAC Championship--are flawed teams who lost a lot in the off-season. Its probably more wide open than it looks. Click here for MAC report online preview, best on the web.

My actual predictions will come later. But I believe the media will have NIU (with Garrett Wolfe and UT playing in DeKalb this year) beating Akron in the MACC.

No comments :