Thursday, March 16, 2006

Our Basketball Coach

As we lose our second guard in a month, and many fear an ongoing exodus of basketball players from our program, the calls for Coach Dakich's head on message boards and in private conversation continue to grow. Coach has one year left on his deal, and I don't expect him to be bought out--in fact, it would shock me. So he has one more year, but he also has a new AD coming in who might want his own guy.

My view? Coach Dakich is a good and decent man. I like him, and I think he is good for the community and the university.

Our basketball program has got to be turned around. I hope that Coach is the one who does it, but he's simply not going to be given unlimited time to do it.

I worry that the momentum in the program right now is so negative that it will be hard to turn it around in one year.

To sum up: I want to see Dan succeed, but I fear the hole is too deep.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I hope it doesn't get messy, but I'm not sure we can avoid it, if the seasons results are greatly improved. Even if they are, there are going to be those calling for his ouster.