Sunday, April 25, 2004

Its the morning after the first day of the draft, and like most Lions fans, I sit in a relaxed satisfied stupor. I can't believe after years of this mess, that yesterday's performance was pulled off by the Detroit Lions...I really can't. The trading moves--which got us Teddy Lehman for nothing--actually smacked of a team that was paying attention while other teams were picking, and not playing their Playstations. I mean, this year, OUR team saw all those trades being made, and said, "hey, wait a minute, what if WE did one of those trade things? Can we do that."

Someone said, (after a long pause) "I guess so. I don't know why not." And away we go.

I like the Roy Williams pick. I liked Taylor, and I liked Winslow, but Rogers and Williams are a good start, and with Hakim in the slot, he might be more productive. Personally, I would cut him and save the $$ because they are too much for a number 3, but I don't expect that to happen. Anyway, Streets and Anderson are in the wings.

I also like trading up for Jones. A lot. First, it shows rare initiative. Second, he's a good player and a great value. He and Pinner (who Mooch says has been "running around like crazy" in the off-season, whatever that means...I assume its good) make a good tandem and one or both should work out.

I also like Lehman a whole bunch. I read his bio on ESPN. Plays hard. Fast. Like a coach on the field. Do you know who this is? Chris Spielman. We ought to just give him #54 and get it over with. I can't believe we got him in the second.

As an aside, the McNeese State kid is thought to be the best deep cover corner in the draft. With some seasoning, he could be a good one, too.

Only two picks left today, but that's fine. Those guys in the late rounds rarely work out.

Kudos to the Lions. Next stop...a .500 record.

No comments :