Wednesday, October 17, 2007

On Coach Brandon...just sayin'

The BG News blog points us to an article in the Sporting News that says the following:


A source told me that Bowling Green coach Gregg Brandon approached athletic director Greg Christopher in the offseason about getting a contract extension. Brandon was denied. Bowling Green is 3-3 this year in Brandon's fifth season.

I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised that he asked and I'm not surprised he got turned down. With how the program looked last year, there was no reason to grant an extension. Brandon wasn't going anywhere, and there was serious doubt if we were on the right track.

I don't think, however, that it means that Brandon's days are numbered. 2008 is the last year on his contract. Based on everything in the history of the BGSU program, he is going to coach until the end of the 2008 season for our team.

My best case scenario? That we win the MAC title, and he gets a well-deserved extension prior to his "lame duck season." If not, he will go into his last season trying to earn an extension....really tough to do and hard on recruiting. It could happen--we don't lose anybody, really.

This really is a key year for the program. Let's hope we turn it around Saturday, because I thought we were back on track.

No comments :