Thursday, July 24, 2014

Breaking: Former 5-star receiver to transfer to BG

His name is Robbie Rhodes, and ESPN is reporting that he is headed to BG.  This is a very big deal...there are clear question marks, but if it works out, he has the ability to be a dominant player in the MAC.

Not to put too fine a point on it...he was the #3 ranked WR prospect in the country.

Rhodes was at Baylor where he was dismissed...the following is from ESPN:

Rhodes, a sophomore, was dismissed from the Bears' program on June 23 after multiple drug-related incidents. He was arrested in May on marijuana possession charges, but the McLennan County District Attorney's office declined to prosecute.

Despite the charges being dropped, Rhodes was disciplined by the school and agreed to sanctions in order to remain in good standing with the program, but another undisclosed incident in June violated conditions of that agreement.

So, first, the Baylor connection is obvious to everyone.

Also, he's not even looking at BG if it isn't for the drug issues.

Now, I suspect this is going to be a concern for some people.  It certainly makes me a little uncomfortable.  I believe in second chances, (though this appears to be at least his third) and if Robbie Rhodes wants to turn his life around, I'm thrilled he chose to do it at BG.

I don't know the young man and Coach Babers does, so he's certainly in a better position to make a judgment than me.

If it goes wrong, however, we know who is accountable for it.  I don't believe you have to make compromises to win in the MAC, and I expect our program to win and to represent the University in a good light--not a perfect light, but a good light.

We've had an issue already this week--with a guy recruited by the former coach, to be fair, but it is still out there and nothing has been announced as it relates to him, either.

Until I see otherwise, I am going to assume that our administration and university leadership feel as I do, and I look forward with hope that this will be a great comeback story.

No comments :