Thursday, August 01, 2013

The Blade spoke to Anthon Samuel

The Blade had one other thing last week that I wanted to catch up on.  John Wagner talked to Anthon Samuel and the story is a little more interesting than it might have seemed at the time.  You can check The Blade out for the whole story, but the gist of it was that Samuel left and told Coach that if he came back he would pay his own way.  In April, he wanted to come back, but Clawson had given his scholarship away--remember that BG was talking in February about needing to grey shirt guys--and the Samuel couldn't justify paying money his family needed to go to BG.  And so he transferred.

Here's the salient quote:

“I was never mad at BG or at coach Clawson — I understand. I am disappointed in me. If I had answered differently when coach Clawson talked to me about the scholarship, he would have held a scholarship for me.”
Anyway, I think it speaks well of the environment at BGSU that Samuel wanted to come back--he referred to BG players as his brothers.  It didn't work out--and I don't blame Samuel for saving his money for his wife and child.  Best wishes to him at FIU and to his family.

No comments :