Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ticket Sales Strong at BG

BGSUfalcons.com put out this report on how ticket sales are going, and I was pretty encouraged.

I don't recall the Athletic Department putting this kind of info out, and I suspect partly they are trying to show results from their decision to outsource the ticket department.

Anyway, season ticket sales are up 30%.  That's good in anyone's book.  Also, there was a 92% renewal rate compared to 83% a year ago.  And, there are 500 more season tickets sold.

A couple random thoughts:

First, 83% renewal rate after than 2-10 season is nothing to sneeze at.  I believe our core fans are pretty loyal, there just aren't enough of them.

Second, season tickets are the best measure of success.  If the weather is nice, we'll have a bunch of people show up for that game against Idaho, but when it rains in October, who's going to be out there?  Or, who has going to have paid.

Third, I was very impressed with the promotion this year.  I had a football player come talk to me at a basketball game this year and personally ask me to renew my tickets, which was an incredibly nice touch.  I would have done it anyway, but it added a high touch element.  I like the two tickets to a road game they included and the parking as well.  I'm not big fans of all the outsourcing (especially the comical security corps) but I have been pleased with the ticket packages and promotion efforts.

Fourth, as a piece of advice, I believe the next stage of success can be achieved by upgrading the gameday experience.  Better concessions in particular would be great.

Can't wait to start the home season in a couple of weeks.  Good job to the Athletic Department.  If we can create a great experience at the Doyt, we can keep building on this success and have good crowds there every game.


No comments :