Friday, June 22, 2012

Phil Steele says BG #51


So, it is always a happy time of year when Phil Steele's football guide comes out. It might or might not be the book the experts cannot do without but I know it is the book I don't do without.

I have the sung praises before, so I will keep it brief.  It is the only preview mag I ever saw that is well prepared and thoughtful even down to the MAC level.   Guy is thorough and knows his stuff and uses interesting analysis.  I like that he takes schedule into account, especially in the conference.  So, I recommend you run out and buy a copy.

Here are the basics as it relates to the Falcons.

He likes us!

  • Overall, he ranks us #51 in the country.
  • In the power rankings, (schedule agnostic) he has us #74.
  • He has us one of three teams to win the East (OU, Miami and BG).
  • He believes we will be the 4th most improved team in the country.
  • He says we have the best o-line, d-line and LBs in the Clawson years
  • BTW, he is VERY high on David Kekuewa, the JUCO C from Hawaii.  He really likes him, and based on that, I'd anticipate that he challenges for playing time


I'll take a look later in the week at some of the metrics he applies to the team, but I do agree with his analysis.  This team has everything in place to be good for at least the next two seasons, and let's hope we can stay healthy and bring some wins back to the Doyt.


No comments :