Thursday, April 26, 2012

MAC NFL Draft Preview

Love this dude....


It is draft day, and while we probably aren't expecting much in the first round, there are six other rounds, and I wanted to take a look at what we can expect from the MAC in terms of draftees.  A quick look is all that will be needed.

If you eliminate Temple (and we are), then the MAC could very well go through the entire draft and have two players taken.

The surest pick--maybe the only sure pick--is a guy you probably never heard of, and that is Brandon Brooks, OG Miami.  As the 5th best G as ranked by ESPN, he is a likely second day pick.

I think the only other MAC player who might be picked is Lavon Brazill, the WR from OU.  He is ranked as the #23 WR, and you'd have to figure he's on the bubble.

I don't know what to think about Harnish.  ESPN feels he is the #11 ranked QB, and at that, you have to figure he gets picked.  Lefevour got picked, after all.  I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't picked, but I guess I expect him to be drafted.

Which leaves us with two players who had incredible MAC careers...Eric Page and Jordan White.  I don't know what to make of these guys.  Page, who came out early, presumably with some advice, looks to me to be unlikely to be drafted.  Doesn't mean he won't make a roster, just means he won't be drafted. I can only figure that with his size, he isn't viewed as much use beyond returning kicks and you hate to use a draft pick on someone like that.  If Dane Sanzenbacher wasn't drafted then I can see page not being drafted, which is s shame, since he came out early. He is the #42 ranked WR.

Jordan White of WMU is the #38 ranked WR.  He had a six-year career due to injuries, which may be a deterrent.  He has the size to be an NFL receiver, but apparently is not considered to have the speed.

One other note.....sense anything missing?  That's right....there are all offensive players.

Anyway, I see the MAC getting 2-3 picks this year, and that's all.  We'll track it, but you could argue it is symptomatic of the reduction in overall talent we are seeing in the conference in the post-Marshall era.

No comments :