Monday, February 02, 2009

MAC Scoring

I have been perceiving that scoring has been down in the MAC for hoops this season. It just seems like every team we play is locking down scoring to a really, really low level. I decided that, you know, facts might be cool, so I did some quick research. Only to find out that I was right.

  • Last year, the average MAC team scored 65.95 points per game.
  • Thus far, the average MAC team is scoring only 61.4 points per game.
  • This represents a 7.4% reduction in scoring.

The analysis is done using only conference games, just to strip out those confounding games against both the hoops powerhouses and the little sisters on schedules.

I don't know how this became the fashion, and how much of it is due to the defensive style of the teams and how much is due to the dearth of offensive playmakers in our current lineups.

But, scoring really is down thus far.

No comments :