Friday, July 15, 2005

Adam Dunn Trade Talk

Chad at Redleg Nation has some info that he feels is reliable that says OB is shopping Dunn--inside the division in order to get a a higher price.

Here's the salient part:

OB is actively shopping Dunn to Cubs, Cardinals, and Astros. He has made all of them aware that he will trade Dunn within the division, apparently in an effort to drive the price up. Kearns will stay in the minors until the trade is consummated.
Chad says that if the Reds trade Dunn, his days as a fan are over. While I appreciate the sentiment, I have to say that is a little strong. Frankly, this team has done far worse to me than that, and I always come back for more. I shouldn't, but I do.

Here are the comments on the story.

Its clear that our people are divided. I believe that some people don't see the value of Adam--they have him defined as a sort of Rob Deer/Pete Incviglia type player, who is a good but marginal talent. I believe that's an unenlightened view, but if you don't go past the batting average, and don't appreciate walks, you might decide that. I might add that Dunn's high BA in AAA might have led people to think he was a different kind of hitter--leading to the conclusion that he is a letdown and should be disgorged.

I don't agree with that...mostly because the calculation at work is this:

Trade Dunn + Get Pitching = Winning.

The problem is that it doesn't work that way. This is the guy who signed Eric Milton to a 3-year deal. And, if we're talking young pitching, there's no guarantee that they ever pan out. If you get 3 young pitchers, and one is a good starter, that is good. Getting none is not unheard of. So, you're trading Dunn for an outside shot at being better.

I don't like it. But it won't chase me away.

No comments :