Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Falcons Apparently Hire D-Coordinator

Appears to be a Mr. John Lovett from Louisana Tech. He was set to be the D-coordinator for Jack Bicknell down there. In fact, he only took the job a few weeks ago.

First of all, they cannot be happy down there. You bring a guy in, and a couple of months later, he's gone. On paper, this is an oustanding hire for us. Lovett has been D-Coordinator at Clemson, Ole Miss, and Auburn, all of which certainly qualify him to work here. Based on the article linked above, he appears to be a no-nonsense guy, something I think we can use on that side of the ball.

I wholeheartedly support the direction taken here. Rather than a holding pattern hire from within, we went out and got a guy who can take us in a new direction. I think Tim Beckman is a good football coach, but once you've lost him, you have to tak e it as an opportunity to make the D better. I don't know anything about Lovett, but I think he can do that based on what I have seen.

It also reflects my view that we need to win a championship this year, and the only thing that can hold us back is a D that doesn't get the job done. If he can make an immediate step forward on the D, we're going to be practically impossible to beat.

No comments :