Saturday, December 02, 2017

Interesting email from BGSU

Got an interesting email from BGSU yesterday.  They were seeking season ticket holder input on an idea that they are considering, which is to move the band and the students to the east side of the stadium, along with the team.  The idea is that when the game is on TV, this would put more people in the stands facing the cameras and create a better image on television.  They say no season ticket holder would have to move their seats, but don't specify where on the East side all this might happen.

First, I want to say that it is great to see some creative thinking.  The game day experience has gotten a lot better over the years and I am glad to see them keep trying to move it forward.  I am also glad to see them asking for input.  In past years, something like this might have just been announced.  For example, they might have surveyed season ticket holders before announcing they were moving a home game to Columbus.

That sounds like I'm going to say I don't like the idea, but I do.

I'm a west side guy.  It is better for the sun and the wind and we know all the people in our section.  We like watching what's going on with our bench, but that's not a huge thing.  I think we'd enjoy the game just as much, possibly more, who knows.

You might disagree.  If you got the survey, make sure you send it back.  It is important we stay involved.

5 comments :

Flip said...

Back in the day...as late as 1991 IIRC the home bench was on the east side

Orange said...

You know, that's what I thought but I couldn't remember exactly.

Schadenfreude said...

I think this is a really good idea. Even when we have an okay crowd, it doesn't look great on TV because the west side fills up first. This would help.

I'm not sure I'd move the band, but I'm not against it. Maybe they can come up with something special to do with that spot near the Sebo Center.

Mark Lohrum said...

I seem to remember them trying this back in 2006 or so and it didn't take. But it is a great idea. Fill in the stadium some with more crowd noise behind the opposing bench.

NWLB said...

They have talked about this for two years already.

I think the idea is horrible. Another act of bending over, slathering lube all about and taking one for pathetic TV games.

Nobody is going to be fooled by sitting the band in empty space, nobody is going to be fooled by our own team almost entirely alone on the east side because the rest of us don't and won't sit with the sun in our face.

Yes, lets put the band behind the team we don't want deaf from intra-play music-not that such moves really have a big impact but is that the point?

And hey, how great will it be when you have the single game of the year with students, and you watch them all leave before half-time live on TV!

No sponsor is going to lay big money out without learning enough to know the "image" isn't valid.

Yeah, great "thinking" BG. I know there is push from the MAC office to do things like this, but how many times are we going to have people performing voodoo trying to inject life into lousy TV games?

Oh, and sending the survey to "season ticket holders?" Yeah, cute way to sneak one past most people who don't bother with season tickets, and won't.

Here I join the Falcon Club, enjoy having the band sitting in front of me at the Sebo. Now I'll have empty seats or whatever contrived stunt the jam into the space.