Monday, October 04, 2010

Men's Hoops Gets Verbal Commit

A brief basketball interlude, Canton Timken's Jehvon Clarke has made a verbal commitment to come to BG.  Described by his coach as a "beautiful kid", Jehvon is a 6'1" combo guard who had offers from Creighton, Wright State, the Rockets and St. Bonaventure.  He had a very productive junior year.

Clarke, a dazzling ball-handler who can get his own shot or set up others with his quickness, averaged 15.5 points, 5.6 assists and 3.0 steals as a junior, while shooting 35.6 percent from the 3-point line.

Coming from Canton, he counts Keith McLeod as one of his mentors...

“He’s like an idol to me, a mentor,” Clarke said. “I saw what he accomplished there and I thought, ‘Shoot, if I go there I can accomplish the same goals, if not better.’ ”

More from his coach...

“I heard it out of the mouth of Louis Orr and many college coaches,” Hairston said. “He’s multi-skilled. He can handle it, shoot it. He’s a good defender with a Division I-type body. But, especially in the college game with the shot clock running down, you can toss him the ball and he can go make a play. That’s what they look for.”

Yep, that's what we are looking for.  Sounds like a great guy to get for our program.  Welcome to the Falcons, Mr. Clarke!

No comments :