Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Falcon Game by Game Predictions

As part of an annual exercise in humility, each year I go through each game and predict how I think we will do. It was easy early on, when we had a number of walk overs. Last year, things didn't go so well. And yes--at the end of the season there will be a post that tells the sad story of how I did. Here we go....


9/01/07 at Minnesota TV Minneapolis, Minn. LOSE
09/08/07 at Michigan State TV East Lansing, Mich. LOSE
09/22/07 vs. Temple TV Bowling Green, Ohio WIN
09/29/07 vs. Western Kentucky Bowling Green, Ohio WIN
10/06/07 at Boston College Boston, Mass. LOSE
10/13/07 at Miami TV Oxford, Ohio LOSE
10/20/07 at Kent State Kent, Ohio LOSE
10/27/07 vs. Ohio Bowling Green, Ohio WIN
11/02/07 vs. Akron TV Bowling Green, Ohio LOSE
11/09/07 at Eastern Michigan TV Ypsilanti, Mich. WIN
11/17/07 at Buffalo Buffalo, N.Y. WIN
11/23/07 vs. Toledo TV Bowling Green, Ohio WIN

6-6. In the East, 3-3. No Bowl game.

Some comments. I don't think we have the horses to pull off an early season upset, even against flawed opposition, and by the time we get good (if that happens), we're playing our toughest game of the season against Boston College. The MAC has gone a long time without a BCS win, and we're not going to be the team that breaks the string. We will beat Western Kentucky.

To the conference games, I see us being even. I assume we are going to beat Buffalo, and Temple. Then, I assume we lose at Kent, who Phil Steele has winning the division, as they return butt loads of players. I also think we lose to Miami down there. I think the Hawks are on the comeback trail and will be tough down there. That leaves us 2-2.

We have Ohio and Akron at home. Now, if we won those games, we're 4-2, and in the hunt for the division title. And they are both winnable--especially at home. OU does not return much, and Akron is hurting on offense. Phil Steele has us ahead of both of them. However, if we win both those games, we would be running the table at home, and I don't see that. So, I'm saying we lose to Akron and beat OU. But, if we can take those two, we are in the hunt.

I think we win both cross over games, and that makes us 6-6 for the year. But, all is not lost. Because, as I see it, we should win four of our last five games, including over Toledo, and have mucho momentum heading into next season, when we can cease to be a young team and begin to have the junior and senior dominated team that wins Championships.

No comments :