Friday, December 31, 2004

Special teamers get long-term deals, and Lions preview

Detroitlions.com has announced long-term deals for Donte Curry and Nick Harris. I guess Curry is a good special teams player, versatile, and worth the long-term deal. Nick Harris is the #24 punter in the NFL in average, and he's 29th in net average. I don't see what the big deal is there. On the other hand, we're talking seven yards a punt between top and bottom, so maybe its not worth worrying about. Plus, in the NFL, he can always be cut anyway.

I also saw that Harrington, who is due for big $$ this year, is willing to restructure to help the team on the cap. Clearly, he hasn't earned the big $$, and the only way for him to get them long-term, and not for just one season, is to get some players around him.

Good special teams players are vital, especially in the era of the salary cap.

Lions are playing the Titans, a team with a worse record than them on Sunday. I'd be nice to win and get to 7 wins, but with a loss we draft higher, so I'm OK either way. I plan on being at Anderson Arena on Sunday. Lions recap can be expected sometime next week.

No comments :