Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Coach Orr Victim of Hate Speech....

Just a quick note...this is picking up steam over the interwebs.  In fact, I'm sure you have seen by now that Coach Orr was the victim of hate speech in front of his home over the weekend.

Of course, I support all the comments I have seen on the web.  This is sad.  No one deserves to be treated like that and I feel badly that it happened and badly that someone's life is so devoid of meaning that they would do something like that.

As the story gets some national traction, I also feel badly because I think Bowling Green is a better place than that and now people are going to draw their impressions from something like that.

You don't have to like Coach Orr and you don't have to think he's a great coach.  But to expose the man--who has never done anything to you--and his family to something like this is beneath contempt.

Update:  In today's Sentinel, Coach Orr did comment on what happened.  He responded, in my view, with characteristic grace and a reliance on his deep faith.

“Only God can heal the heart, not legislation or whatever,” Orr said. “We pray for those that may have some resentment toward me, our family or just a race issue in general.”

Update II: Four juveniles have reportedly confessed....

No comments :