Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Time to review predictions....



So, before the season I sat down and predicted each game for the season...now it is time to call in the chips, and see how it all worked out.

To review...here is what I said at the time.

So we will look at this a couple of ways.  First, here, in all my darkness, is my prediction for the season, with a short capsule for each game.  I'm going 5-7 and 3-5 in the MAC.


I do think we are on the right track.  However, I think that Falcons fans should have cautious expectations this year.  Having said that, I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Obviously, numerically, I was right on with both numbers.  My more qualitative description was also pretty good....we were better, but it was right to have cautious expectations.

Game by game, I was 8-4, which is pretty good.

I called the Temple upset right.  I had the Kent game right....sort of, I mean, I thought we would lose to a good Kent team not a lousy one, but, you know, we did in fact lose.  I missed the Idaho game (they were a lot worse than we thought) and the Wyoming game, and I thought we would be improved enough late in the year to beat OU, which we almost were.

Anyway, for amusement, here is my game by game summation.


9/1/2011 at Idaho   L  (WRONG)

This game appears to be winnable, but a young team on the road in a hostile environment is a tough assignment.  I think Idaho picks up the win.

9/10/2011 Morgan State   W (RIGHT, DUH)

BG wins this game against FCS team that was picked to be 6th in the MEAC.

9/17/2011 Wyoming    W (WRONG)

I like BG to win this one at home.  They are much like BG--they were 3-9 and while they are on an upward vector, they are also still building and I think BG wins.  Plus, Cowboy OC Gregg Brandon struggled in the Doyt in his last years, and he cannot get this out of his head.

 9/24/2011 * at Miami L (WRONG)

This is one I would like to think we would win.  Miami caught a lot of breaks last year in winning the title.  At the same time, they have a new coach I like a lot, and a strong defense that could be a tough matchup for us.  We almost beat them last year, so maybe we weren't that far apart, but on their home field I think Miami wins.

10/1 at West Virginia  L (Right)

Mountaineers too much.

10/8/2011 * at Western Michigan  L (Right)

Western will be a tough game.  If you are going to say that we have a shot at Miami because we almost beat them, what do you say about WMU, who torched us on our field?  Western is a strong team and we'd be very pleased if we pulled this one off.

10/15/2011 * Toledo  L (RIGHT)

I hate picking us to lose to Toledo, especially at home.  Having said that, last year's game was not close, and I don't know if we have closed the gap enough.  Certainly, if BG starts to look like they are gelling than this is an opportunity to really get up for a game and show what you can do.

10/22/2011 * Temple W (RIGHT)

BG nearly beat Temple on the road last year, and this is one I like us to pick up.  While I think Temple is a good MAC team, they may not be as good as last year, especially on defense, and I think BG can pick this win up.

10/29/2011 * at Kent State L (RIGHT)

I like Kent to win the East and defend the Dix in this game.

11/8/2011 * Northern Illinois L (RIGHT)

I think NIU is the best team in the MAC and they will be too much for the young Falcons.

11/16/2011 * Ohio  W (WRONG)

Perhaps the biggest upset, I think BG is playing better at this point. OU is also very young, and BG grinds out a win at the Doyt.  This is the game where BG shows that it is on the way back.

11/25/2011 * at Buffalo W (RIGHT)

Buffalo in November.  Nice.  Buffalo is one of two teams in the East I have picked behind BG so I like the Falcons to pick up a frozen road win.


No comments :