Tuesday, December 13, 2011

2011 Review: Offense, Big Plays

One last thing on the offense.  I know that Coach talks about explosive plays--plays that are over 20 yards.  I think it is exactly right...I don't know the math, but if you have to run 4 plays to get 20 yards, the chances of something going wrong are a lot higher and it only takes one penalty or lost yardage play or even dropped pass to set the whole thing off.

In fact, I think 20 yard plays should be an individual stat, as should first downs.

Anyway, for the team, in 2010 (all games), BG had 4 running plays over 20 yards (that's pretty amazing) and 30 passing plays.

In 2011, those numbers did improve.  BG had 11 running plays over 20 yards and 37 passing plays.  The running number was so low in 2010 that it almost had to shoot up just on the law of averages, put even the passing represents a 25% increase or so.

In total, BG went from 34 to 48 20 yard plays.  Because this isn't a uniformly kept statistic, I don't have any actual comparisons.  I just know that we did better in 2011.


No comments :