Wednesday, December 02, 2009

MAC Blogger Roundtable....

The MAC Blogger roundtable is back this week, as Fire Up Chips took a break from his preparations for the MAC Championship Game to throw some suggestions into the cage.

I. As a Patriots fan since the mid 90's I have learned that once you start winning, everybody hates you. So go ahead and vent. Give me the top 3 things that bothers you about CMU. Something they did to your team, the headlines, or the Dan LeFevour love. If you don't feel comfortable with that, than summarize what the Dan LeFevour era at CMU has meant to the MAC Conference.

I actually don't hate CMU at all.  Or at least I didn't until I found out you root for the Patriots.  Now, everything is different.

OK, not really.

My lone scarring vision of a Chippewa is the sight of a very fat punter waddling down the Doyt Perry Field grass in 1994, ripping my heart from my chest with every step.  I respect the CMU program, especially because they have been able to sustain their momentum through a coaching change, which has caused, uh, problems in the MAC.

Oh, and I thought the billboard outside Comerica Park was a joke.  Think, actually.


II. Akron just gave J.D Brookhart his marching orders. Do you think this move is justified, or would you agree with me that winning in the MAC is all about luck and timing...getting that one elite QB the BCS overlooks and riding that Pony as long as you can.

This is a really good question.  I talk about this with people all the time.  Sustaining your success in the MAC appears to be something no one can do, which is why it is smart for coaches to get up and go when the chance presents itself.  I have no satisfactory reason why.  I suspect that high school players don't want to go to the MAC and sit on the bench, so they look for places where they can play right away, and that is the up and coming teams.

I don't know if the Brookhart firing was justified, but as with the Brandon firing, there was more than just losing involved.  The issues with the program this year suggest that it was out of control.


III. So its the Fightin' Dan LeFevour's versus the Banged Up Bobcats. Do you think CMU will win this, or do you think there is a chance that CMU get's "Buffaloed" like Ball State did last year.

No, I don't.  I like CMU a lot.

IV. MAC Player of the Year. Dan LeFevour or Freddie Barnes?

This might surprise you, but I do think it is LeFevour.  He led his team to an undefeated season and deserves the honor.  In most years, Barnes would have been a shoo-in and certainly is deserving  if he does win it.

V. What thing about the 2009 MAC season disapointed you the most?

Not too much falls in this category for me.   Usually, there is a crazy race down the stretch involving tie-breakers, but that didn't happen this season.

VI. Which teams will be picked to with the whole thing in 2010?

No idea at all.  I believe Bowling Green will have to work to get to 7-5 again as it replaces offensive playmakers and most of its defensive starters.

No comments :