Saturday, February 05, 2005

Lions Draft Part I

Draft speculation is a cottage industry for off-season NFL nuts. Books, internet sites, heck, it made Mel Kiper famous. Lionbacker has compiled the mock drafts that are out there and what they are showing for our guys.

A couple comments. I like Thomas Davis. I think he helps us the most, and the most right away. He's fast, he's a tackler...he fits SS for us perfectly. We might even be able to trade down and still get him.

I do not like Heath Miller. At all. I think the only reason he shows up on so many of these is that Kiper put it on his first mock draft, and everyone else just follows suit. We don't need Heath Miller, and he doesn't move the ball forward. Let's go for some defense and a need. I have said it before--to some mockery--the defense is close to being very successful. Let's fill in the pieces before we have to start over again.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

In regards to Heath Miller, I think many Lion fans (myself included) were unhappy with Stephen Alexander's performance last year. I also think with the performance of Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, and Jeremy Shockey in recent seasons, it is apparent what a play-making TE can do for an offense. I think the Mornihnweg/Mooch vintage of WCO has underutilized the TE position. Granted, Mikhail Ricks was athletically gifted, but he was awful. Casey FitzSimmons has exhibited quite a bit of promise. That being said, I think the Lions definitely need to upgrade the position as well as both safety positions, cornerback, defensive end, and possibly the offensive line, depending upon what happens in Free Agency. Is Miller a raw talent, yes. Does it make sense for the Lions to select Miller if he is not projected that high in the draft, no. Would it make even more sense for the Lions to trade down if given the opportunity, yes especially if they will be rewarded with another high second round draft pick.

Orange said...

You make good points. No question, a TE can be a big help, and Stephen Alexander has been awful. My only point is this...how much offense can a team draft? Sooner or later, we need help on the other side of the ball. I'd go for a defensive player and do what I could with Alexander and FitzSimmons.