Sunday, March 07, 2010

MAC Tourney Preview

So, the MAC tourney is starting up today.  Thought I would take a minute to preview it.

First, from our selfish standpoint, any of the three teams in our little section of the bracket has a shot at making the semis.  The 7/10 seed game plays the West Champion, which, of late in the MAC, is not a very good team and only one game better than the #7 seed, as it turns out.  In fact, I would contend that the #7/#10 route is much easier than the #8/#9 route.

Anyway, from BG's perspective, we should have beat WMU the first time in Kzoo, and I'm hoping we will see us show our resilience and play much better than we did at OU.  I believe we have an excellent shot at beating the Broncos (see yesterday's game preview).  While I think the odds are against us beating CMU based on the game we played earlier, they are certainly not unbeatable.

Beyond that, I don't see a huge number of surprises.  I think OU will win at BSU, and then the Thursday night tilt at the Q should be really entertaining, with Kent/OU and Buffalo/Miami likely to be on the card.

Side note:  how'd you like to the UT, finish last and then have to go all the way to Buffalo to finish the season?

In the end, I am picking Akron to beat Kent, which might be surprising after the game Friday night.  I think Akron is better than that, and that Kent will have a tough time beating them twice in a row.  If that is the final, the Q should be rocking.

No comments :