Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Blade's Ryan Autullo Blogs Questions for the Falcon Offense

Ryan at the Blade has some questions for the Falcon football program. Of course, he's a REPORTER, so that's what he's supposed to have. But no--Ryan goes a step further--he even has answers.

Feel free to click here and read what he has to say. Allow me to interject some coments and a couple of additional questions, too.

I guess I agree with Ryan's final assessment about who should start at QB--the same guy who did last year. I know everyone is all "OMG" over Andrew Beam, including, apparently, Ryan. He may indeed be OMG, but your judgments are based on a highlight reel. Say the words to yourself slowly...highlight reel.

The same thing happens at recruiting time. Coaches show highlight reels to demonstrate what players can do. My question is this: do players who go to Eastern have good highlight reels? I think we know the answer. And they're brutal every year. I'll tell you what would be more interesting....a tape of their worst plays. Anyway, I'll believe Andrew Beam is better in our offense when he does it consistently.

At RB, I guess Ryan is right. Starter isn't vital because both Turner and Geter will get carries. Willie is small, and I worry about him carrying the workload, but Turner seemed to be in the dog house during the spring. Note Ryan's pessimism related to Eric Ransom.

As for the offensive line, I would say that is indeed the biggest challenge we face. Note that Ryan does not believe there is confidence in some of the returning upper classmen, as he seems two freshmen making the two-deep. Or, they are that good. (Cue Marc Stevens reference).

Quick hits: I hope we run the ball effectively ALL year, and you're right--Coach Brandon is the offensive mastermind.

Two other questions, if you do not mind:

  1. Are we slightly overconfident at receiver? What do we have after Freddie Barnes and an oft-injured Corey Partridge?
  2. Can Tyler throw the deep ball yet?

No comments :