Tuesday, February 06, 2007

They say it is hard to win on the road in the MAC

They say it lot, both coaches who lose on the road, and, often coaches who win on the road ("man, was that tough! We must be good..."). I began to wonder. Is it really tougher than in any conferences.

I decided to look at mid major conferences that made it easy to figure out such a thing. I couldn't find anything for the MVC and the Horizon (my first two choices), but here is what I found for others.







W-L










































%
MAC
17-37

31.6%

Colonial Athletic
31-48

39%
Mountain West
13-27

32.5%

C-USA
19-30

38.7%

WAC



12-3227%

























Well, you can see the answer. Road teams in the MAC lose two out of three games. That is, frankly, the ballpark of the other conferences we look at here, but on the low side. Now, I will contend that if you look at the MAC standings, you will see that good teams do win on the road. It is hard for BAD teams to win in the MAC. And, I think that MAC has less parity in the middle than it normally does.

But that's a digression. It is hard to win on the road in college basketball, and the MAC is no exception, and maybe a little worse.

No comments :