Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sadness Accrues: Final


Not much more to say, just one thing really.

Last year, in the midst of the team's struggles, Coach Jinks gave a pretty good speech about how we expected the fans to be upset because the opposite side of the coin is apathy, and that's a program killer.

We struggle with keeping our fan base engaged on a good day.  I'm afraid we are going to see some real apathy in the weeks coming up.  And then I think about what happens if we end up living through the end of this contract.

The photo above was at the BEGINNING of the game.  The announced crowd was 14K but I'd be surprised if bodies in the seats was anywhere near 10,000.  The upper right of the frame is the student section.

Here's how it looked at the end.



I stayed until the end of the game, mostly to make a point.  We may not have a large number of steadfast fans, but we are the only permanent presence of the program.  Coaches come and go. ADs come and go.  We're the ones who stay.

BG did their senior day on Saturday, which is unusual.  Normally, it is the last game of the season....you know, their actual last game.  My understanding is that it was moved up because it is hard for some of the parents to make the weeknight game that will be the last game and that doing senior day in the dark in front of almost completely empty stands isn't the best way to honor your seniors.

Some of us have been saying exactly that about the night games for a long time.  I thought they could just face the east side but apparently not.

2 comments :

Unknown said...

I would like to change things up a bit. Last year I met an intriguing alumnus and found he sits this year a section from me. This time I took the opportunity to speak with him. He informed me that he began his Bgsu career around 1943 and played football as well. Interrupting his time here was being drafted for over seas service during WWII. After a 2 year stint he came back to finish his final 2 years where he again also played football. At age 93 he is and has been a season ticket holder for several decades. I just thought this was special and worth noting.

Orange said...

Thanks for sharing, Perry.