Wednesday, August 05, 2009

On the scheduling of I-AA/FCS teams....

I have long been in the apparent minority in the nation, in that I believe there is nothing wrong with us scheduling 1 of our 12 games as a FCS team. I felt less strong when it was 11 games, and I don't support 2, but I think if we play a BCS team, it is OK to play a FCS team.

My rationale is simply that most teams do it, and it is OK for them, so it should be OK for BG too. It gets us a home game and an easy win, which is the same reason everybody else does it. There is nothing wrong with one easy win in a 12 game schedule.

Now, from a frank angle comes mathematical proof of the premise of my argument--that most teams do it.

In fact, according to the analysis in the post, of 66 BCS teams, 77% play at least one game against a I-AA team. If it is good for 3 out of 4 teams in major conferences, why isn't it good for us? If Florida can do it and still be national champion, then we should be able to.

If you are curious, here are the BCS teams without a FCS game..

Colorado, LSU, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oregon, Purdue, Va Tech, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State
Seven teams play 2 FCS teams....let us speak of them no more.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Fellow Falcons & Readers

1) Many thanks for the link about the numbers, thus I hope you visit to study them.

2) Below the chart are links to associated posts (I did 3)

3) Since I have been tracking these numbers for the past 4 years, one of the posts show the 4-year results by the whole BCS conference teams and by individual conferences.

Frank @ A Frank Angle