Monday, August 31, 2009

The Game by Game Predictions

OK, time to take my medicine. Each year, I predict each game before the season starts, and then I at the end of the year we look back and see how I did. It gives new meaning to the word "clueless." I'll list each game with some explanation...


9/3/2009 Troy LOSE

This game is winnable, but Troy brings huge firepower to this game and a very strong defensive front seven. Mostly, I sense this is not a great match up for this.

9/12/2009 at Missouri LOSE

Our dominance over Missouri will take a hit this year. Gary Pinkel has the program cranking right now, especially on offense. The Tigers win this one.

9/19/2009 at Marshall WIN

After two very though openers, the Falcons go on the road and get their first big win of the Clawson era. Marshall is improving, but the Falcons put everything together and beat the Herd.

9/26/2009 Boise State LOSE

This is also an upset possibility, but Boise has too much talent and wins this one.

10/3/2009 * Ohio WIN

Falcons win this one over OU at the Doyt. Their offense doesn't expose our young defense, and the offense continues to crank.

10/10/2009 * at Kent State WIN

I like the Falcons to win this game, though Kent is a hidden threat in the MAC. We beat them pretty solidly last year, and there is no reason to think we can't do it again. We have to contain Jarvis and get a lead.

10/17/2009 * at Ball State LOSE

Although Ball State is re-tooling, they still have talent, including an outstanding running back. This game is certainly winnable for the Falcons, but I see Ball winning on their field.

10/24/2009 * Central Michigan LOSE

I'd love to see us pull this upset off, but CMU is the conference's most complete team and they will have too much for us.

11/3/2009 * at Buffalo WIN

The Falcons settle the score with the Bulls, who are not the team they were last year.

11/12/2009 * at Miami (OH) LOSE

Perhaps Clawson can reverse the Miami Whammy. This is the year to make it happen. Still, somehow I cannot bring myself to pick it to happen.

11/20/2009 * Akron WIN

At the Doyt, BG and Akron meet in a high scoring shootout that ends with a BG win because Tyler Sheehan is better than Akron's QB.

11/27/2009 * Toledo WIN

This is a tough one. I believe UT is going to be vastly improved and they will be smarting after being pasted the last two games in this series. I'm going to pick Bowling Green for a couple reasons....first, I want to sleep tonight. And second, because I am hopeful that this team gets better as the season goes along and is playing well. This is still a home game, and I'm going to call for BG in a much closer game than in past years.

So, a 1-3 start and then a 5-3 finish for a 6-6 overall ranking, marginal bowl eligibility and a decent finish in the MAC East.

You beat Miami or Ball State on the road, and you are in the title hunt, but several of the other wins are far from certain as well. Ultimately, in this year's MAC East, anyone staying healthy and playing consistent football could end up winning....

No comments :