Friday, June 08, 2007

Dakich to return to Indiana in non-coaching position--now official

Rumors have been around that Dan Dakich is considering a position as Director of Basketball Operations at the University of Indiana. Hit the paper today.

(Note: Now confirmed by IU)

I don't know what to think of this. If this is really what Dan wants, then I am happy for him. He is near home, and if he needs some time away from coaching and this works for him, I am happy.

However, often these positions are entry level. I fear that it signals that DD could not find a job in coaching, which is what I believe he wants to do more than anything. If that is true, than it is going to kill him.

I really did think he would be able to go back to being an assistant coach somewhere, but, I can only assume it was not to be, at least this year.

Again, I hope this is what makes him happy.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I agree that these positions are often entry level. However, I'm not sure that's the case at IU. DD is replacing another former head coach in Jerry Green (Tennessee), plus he is pretty much the Pope of Bloomington, so I'm sure he will be welcomed there with open arms.

I'm guessing he will enjoy a year, maybe two, in this position before moving on to a head-coaching job somewhere.

I could not agree more that I hope this is what he wants.