Monday, July 31, 2006

Pre-season MAC Media Poll out

No surprises here. They picked Northern, the natural pick. I think they have a better idea of what Western is capable of then some other previews I have seen, and I think they may be underestimating Central, but, all told, the West was pretty much conventional widsom.

As was, in fact, the East. I don't think Akron's dominance is reflective of anyone's idea that Akron will be that dominant, but more a reflection of "who the hell do you pick." I think the BG pick is fair, (I don't know where we got 2 first place votes), and I commend the media for not falling prey to unwarranted Franklove.

The East will be wide open. (One unspoken advantage--Akron has Miami and BG at home).

West Division

Place/Team 1st place votes Total points

1. Northern Illinois 39 286

2 Toledo 10 244

3. Western Michigan 1 172

4. Central Michigan -- 155

5. Ball State -- 120

6. Eastern Michigan -- 73

East Division

Place/Team 1st place votes Total points

1. Akron 35 282

2 Miami 11 235

3. Bowling Green 2 196

4. Ohio 2 176

5. Kent State -- 97

6. Buffalo -- 64

No comments :