Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fools Rush In: MAC Predictions


The MAC Blogger roundtable is back, being run by Carter up at EMU.  This year, we are jumping in with our predictions ahead of media day, which is Tuesday.  We were asked to pick a power poll...and who we felt would win the conference title game.  For extra credit, we could predict the winners of the individual awards, which I took a shot at except for freshman of the year, of which I have no earthly i-dea.

Power Poll

  1. NIU
  2. UT
  3. BG
  4. Ohio 
  5. Ball State
  6. WMU
  7. Buffalo
  8. Kent
  9. CMU
  10. Akron
  11. Miami
  12. EMU
  13. UMass
Title Game:  NIU beats BG

Offensive Player of the Year:  The obvious pick is Jordan Lynch and what am I if I am not obvious.  Look, the guy led the league in passing efficiency and had over 1,800 yards rushing.

Defensive Player of the Year:  I'll say Roosevelt Nix with Jonathan Newsome in tough competition.

Coach of the Year:  Jeff Quinn

Some comments...

For my Falcon fans, BG just has too many question marks on offense to be picked at this time to beat NIU.  If BG can produce better offense than last year (significantly better) than I think they have a shot at the Huskies.  This could look different in December, but for now, I think you have to pick NIU.

NIU is everyone's pick and for good reason.  They lost a lot on defense, though, and have to play @Toledo.  I believe the Rockets are being underrated this year.  They have a tough schedule in the MAC, but they have a good shot at winning the West.

I think BG is positioned to win the East.  I think OU is always dangerous, especially if they are healthy this year and they are a legit threat.  BG's game at the Ralph on November 29 is going to be a tough one and is very likely to have title implications.

Having said that, I'm not quite as high on Buffalo as others are.

People see Kent falling back this year.  Phil Steele points out they were +20 in turnovers, which usually comes back to haunt a team the next year.  The Flashes have a question mark at QB but do have Dri Archer.  They could be better than people expect.  The 9/7 game with BG at Kent is going to be an early test for everyone.

No comments :