Monday, July 20, 2009

Top MAC Season-opening Upsets???

So, Matt Sussman of MacDaily (and a BG guy) took a stab at identifying the Top 10 MAC upsets. Now, before anybody goes getting all freaked out, he has specified season-opening upsets...there are not the Top 10 upsets of all time.

You know, he does a pretty good job, and I'm not just saying that because he puts the BG ones first and tells the rest of the conference to like it. Anyway, he mentions the BG wins over Pitt, Minnesota and Missouri (UM's first Falcon win), and goes all the way back to the 60's to pick up a Rocket win over Richmond, back when that was a big deal.

If you want my opinion, and it galls me to say this, but the UT win @ Happy Valley might very well be the biggest. I'm man enough to admit it--and that Chester Taylor was one great ballplayer. Don't expect me to ever admit that again.

I guess I would put the 1972 win over Purdue and the 1975 win over BYU (both away) over the win against a really, really bad Minnesota team, but who am I to quibble? There's two wins over very poor Syracuse teams out there too, but I would put those behind the Minnesota win.

No comments :