Sunday, July 19, 2009

Falcon Football....the Deep Ball

In my previous post, I talked about my theory that Chris Bullock would benefit from the Clawson regime, with a stronger emphasis on running the ball and, you would think, between the tackle running.

Here's another potential beneficiary--Tyler Sheehan. Bear with me.

Because it would not surprise me to see his actual numbers--especially completion %--fall a little bit. Why? Because the previous offense was built on high percentage passes and because we are playing a tough schedule.

But, Sheehan might well be more productive (yards and TDs) then he was in the past, and he might get to show off a new part of his game...the long ball.

I know not everyone thinks he has a long arm. I would only argue that if we did, we would be hard pressed to have a way of knowing it. The prior offense rarely had us go deep---big plays were supposed to come from mismatches in space. I don't know how much we will go deep under Coach Clawson's Rocket Scientist attack, but I have to believe it will be more than we did before.

Furthermore, if we have a between the tackle run game, that will help pull safeties up and create opportunities over the top. Finally, we're going to have a FB who can stay in and block, creating the confidence to go with a longer drop, and we will need to stretch the field horizontally instead of vertically.

No comments :