Monday, June 15, 2009

One point on prognostications about the Falcons

Hey, just one thing on all these prognostications about the Falcons. There is lots of talk about new schemes causing an adjustment issue that will take an entire season. You don't see that for every team with a new coach. It seems particularly common where Dave Clawson is concerned.

There's a sub text here, and I think you know what it is....everyone is fixating on the collapse in Knoxville and the "difficulty" that the vols had adjusting to the new Clawson attack. A few thoughts on that:

I don't know what kind of offense he was supposedly implementing, but I can't imagine it was THAT complicated.

  • Could there possibly have been some other things in play at Tennessee for which Clawson is taking the fall?
  • Is the Clawson attack only able to operate at schools full of rocket scientists like Fordham and Richmond?

I don't know. Maybe the thing in Tennessee was all his fault. I have my doubts. The coach was obviously gone mid-way through the season. Isn't it also possible that the guys quit on him and Fulmer?

Here's another way to look at it. Let's say that a complicated offense WAS a contributing factor at Tennessee. Do you think that Coach Clawson will try that exact thing, without modification, again? I have to believe he is smarter than that.

As a secondary point, they point to problems he had in his first seasons at Fordham and Richmond as further evidence that whatever he's cooking up, a person just can't grasp it right away.

We'll see. This team obviously lost a lot of starters, but the players who were back were not performing as they should have been. I have lots more preview to do, but I did want to note this "conventional wisdom" that is emerging.

No comments :