Tuesday, January 08, 2008

See, Life Goes on

Falcon fans are rightfully disappointed at the humiliating defeat in the GMAC bowl--the worst defeat I can remember of a Falcon team, though there may have been worse. Not by a lot, that's for sure.

Still, I think its possible to take it a little too far. You can check on azz.com to see the primal scream of the Falcon Nation, with declarations that certain players, by name, are the worst player in the country, calls for firing of the coach, etc. I just think its a little too much for one game.

Was it an awful performance? Yes. I doubt if anyone from the team would dispute that. Is it good for the program to get beaten like that on a national stage? No. I doubt if anyone from the team would dispute that. Are there any excuses for getting beat like that, especially against C-USA competition? Nope, and I think the team would agree with that. I'll bet they are feeling as badly about it as we do.

But, sometimes these things happen in sports, and in life. You come in, you're ready, and it turns out it just isn't your night. You're not a machine, you're a person.

These things I still believe:

  • Coach Brandon has done a good job with our program and deserves a two-year extension.
  • We were significantly improved as a team and are poised to compete for a MAC title next year.
  • Our program is headed in the right direction.
  • We have good players who uncharacteristically made too many mistakes on Sunday.
  • The game was an aberration.

So Falcon Nation, its time to move on. I'm going to be reviewing the season over the next few days, and then recruiting comes up. I can't wait for us to kickoff again next Fall. Love Falcon football. Meanwhile, we can point our energy to hoops and hockey, and the long wait for Fall.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Your comments on the game and post-game reaction are right on. I agree with each of them completely. I to remember the Denny Stolz Raisin Bowl fiasco. That still lives as tied for my greatest disappointment in sports. I remember watching the game as a freshman after that undefeated season and seeing the team get blown out on national television was a huge disappointment to an unbelieveable season.
Go Falcons!