Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Breaking News: Miley and Gullett gone

The Reds fired Dave Miley and Don Gullett today, and replaced them with Jerry Narron and Vern Ruhle, respectively. Its 3:04, and a press concerence has just started in Cincy.

Here is MSM approach from the Enquirer.

Here's the Red Reporter take.

Here's what RedLeg Nation says.

And there's 147 people on Redszone working a thread like this...

I think its safe to say that the Reds Nation approves of this move. I don't see too much defense of Miley and Gullett. My own thoughts?

Well, first of all, I don't think Miley has done a good job with the team. Having said that, last year about now I was demanding he get the job. So, I'm an idiot, too. I don't like where he bats Adam Dunn, and I don't like how he handles pitching. That being said, I don't think anyone else could have done much better given the pitching talent that was in front of him. Everyone says we look better on paper, but I'm not sure we are really as good as we look on paper. And, I'm not sure he's a bad enough manager to turn that kind of talent into this kind of record. With the pitching this team has, we would be lucky to be as good as we are.

Now, for Gullett. In the off-season, I wrote that it was GIGO with Gullett. You put garbage in, you get garbage out. Put quality in, he got quality out. But, I don't believe he was any kind of transformational leader. He failed in the Bowden plan (claim 50 stink bombs and let Gully turn them around), and he failed in the OB plan (sign free agent pitchers who are on the second tier). We needed a change in that part of the game.

Having said that, I say this: Vern Ruhle?

Nothing more to say.

Anyway, we were starting to wonder if this was the worst team we ever had, and it shouldn't be, so I suppose something had to be done. Let's hope it helps, even a little. I don't think Narron is any great shakes either, but maybe he can do a little better with this team.

To agree with a Red Reporter poster, look for bodies to move. Guys are going to be shipped out. I believe there will be a major firesale for this team, and in reality, Narron will have much less to work with than Miley did.

No comments :